The bookcase project didn’t go quite as planned this weekend. I got as far as getting the sander out and replacing the grit sheet. I even actually managed to sand a few shelves before the feeling of hopelessness and futility swept over me. The bookcase remains yet unsanded and tainted from its if not glorious, at least stoic, past.
Instead I worked on the second of three baby blankets that I’m knitting for friends all due in the same general timeline. The first is more or less finished. I used the chevron baby blanket free pattern. Instead of the cotton yarn suggested, I used a machine washable, wool/acrylic blend, Berrocco Vintage. And I stopped at 5 colors instead of 7 to account for the larger skein size. I’m pleased with it overall. There are still ends to weave in and washing steps, but the knitting is done, and I’m on to #2 – the babar baby blanket.
Also knit in Berrocco Vintage. This one seemed like it would be a little on the boring side since there’s 25 rows of straight stockinette – non-knitters, think of the most mundane drill you’ve done (in math this might be your times tables, in business – sitting through so-called strategy sessions, at home – prepping your vegetables). It’s just a very basic skill in the scope of all things knitting. However, that plain stockinette must be what I needed, because it’s going swimmingly, and I haven’t been bored at all. To top it off, it’s stockinette in beige, so I must have needed a “break” from the patterned stitches or something. It definitely helps, that I can picture sweet little toes peeking out from under the blanket. The recipient likes things simply and unfussy, so I can only hope that this one will do the trick.