Scrap Wood Flower Box

I decided last weekend that I didn’t have quite enough plant containers. Over the past 5 years, I’ve pulled quite a few from friends who have given me plants. I’ve bought a few, and I’ve salvaged a few from my great-grandmother’s truck of gardening implements that are no longer used. I’ve even converted an emptied chemical bucket into a moderately nice-looking container for our patio tomato plant (actually, I think Jason did that, but it was all my idea). A year or so ago, he built built 2 large, square containers for the unsightly corners of the patio from spare wood from a fence project. One blocks the view of the corner tool holder, and the other blocks the view of the chemical bucket we have for the spa.

I have lots of containers, but when you’re trying to convert a small-ish (10′ x 6′) concrete “patio” into a place where you might actually like to take your early morning coffee or your post run beer, you need lots of plants. So, I realized that I needed another container. Right then! No need to plan when you can just start whacking scraps of wood together, right. These are the same 18″ or so scraps of cedar that we used for last year’s large containers.

partially stuck together boards

Then I realized that my husband was still asleep just a thin brick wall away from my maniacal hammering. And I realized that I needed his help. I don’t know how to work our power drill. It’s a fact that shames me. Now I do, sort of, but when Jason showed me how to work it (work it, work it), 🙂  he also explained that I could stick with the nails I started using instead of switching to screws. And then he sawed the little end blocks I needed to finish it.

I didn’t even ask him to show me how to use the circular saw, because I’m forever scarred by that scene in Ray with the two little boys (Ray Charles and his big brother) and the big saw. I can’t even watching Jason using our tiny-by-comparison circular for very long without getting shivers.

raw, without the end blocks

After I’d finished assembling the scraps, I painted it with a leftover stain from our previous fence project, and waited for it to dry.

Once dry, I promptly planted it with my remaining begonia (annuals) and 2 sprigs of ivy that I’d separated from a sorely root bound mother plant.

these were fading, with compacted root systems and bone dry starter soil

Finished container. I need to add something that will spill over the side. I’m thinking creeping jenny – since I have a ton of it.

Here’s hoping that the ivy will like having some more root space and may even make friends with the little trellis posts behind it.

It’s nothing fancy, but it will hold a plant, and that’s all I really wanted. We have enough cedar scraps for one more of these. But you should see the reclaimed timber pile. After the compost bin project, we still have about 5 long boards remaining. Some sections are split and too damaged to use, but there is still a good amount of salvageable wood, so my gears are still churning.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s