Plant Propagation Encore

With earlier successes as encouragement, I decided to propagate what is supposed to be the easiest of  plants. Mint. I did a little research and saw that others had mild success with getting roots just from water, but most others recommended some sort of potting medium – most concluded plain old dirt would be fine.  Very few mentioned using any sort of rooting hormone. This should be a snap, I thought.

It’s already turning into a scorcher in my region, and my husband has been producing batches of mint simple syrup at a fair clip. As you can imagine, this is an excellent additive to sweet iced tea and cocktails (hello mojitos!).  The 2 mint plants that we have rebound very quickly from the clippings. However, our rate of consumption is still managing to outpace their growth, so the possibility of more plants for zeee-roh extra dollars was appealing.

Stubborn mule that I am, I decided to try both water and dirt (potting soil actually) and NO rooting hormone.  So, I clipped decent stalks from the more mature plant that we have, and got going.

Water effort 1 – eventually changed this to a larger (quart) jar so that the ends of the cuttings would drift. I’m not sure that this would make any difference, but it just seemed logical.

Dirt Effort. It’s really 2 different bits of mint cutting stuck into the pot.

Fast forward a week, and my water effort started looking scrawnier and scrawnier. I couldn’t quite figure this one out.  It was sitting on my kitchen table, getting some low, indirect light in moderate temperature. Finally, after work one day, I noticed a stalk of mint was outside the jar strewn across the table. Bad kitty was jumping onto the kitchen table to freshen her cat food breath with it. I started over and moved the jar to a narrow bookcase shelf that she can’t access. After our vacation, this second water effort still looked pretty (green and alive-looking), but no roots. I gave up on this one and tossed it. Maybe holding out a little longer would have resulted in roots, but based on my research, I decided that the odds were against me.

The dirt effort looked healthy for awhile, and my hope was converting to certainty before our vacation. Memphis had 2 really big rains while we were gone, and when we returned, that little start had failed. The blackened mint still stood wedged in the soil, but its chlorophyll was all washed away.

can you even spot the mint? Blends in with the dirt.

There was one small survivor. This little cutting was less of a trial than a whim. My flower box sits under the eave of the house, protected to some degree, from the weather. I pinched off a small, young section of the mint plant and just pushed it into the soil of that box with the ivy and begonias that were already there. It’s still green, and a little tug tells me that roots developed.

This little mint sprig survived its cutting/rooting endeavor. No before picture as it was an afterthought effort. Just had one little pinch left and just stuck it in with the ivy and begonias.

I spy roots!

Still need more mint. Must grow more mint. More efforts to come. This time, I’ll just haphazard that shizzle.

PS – I keep the mint in containers. One is a container sunk into my garden. This keeps it from taking over an area as it is prone to do.

Advertisements

One thought on “Plant Propagation Encore

  1. Im so excited one of em worked for you! i did that with a pineapple top and it was so cool how the roots grew from no where! i wish i had known about mint taking over and to contain it. mines starting to pop up all over. oh well live and learn 😀

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s